Web 2.0 is a new evolution. I recently learned this interesting concept and decide to follow its development. It is promising because of my personal explaination. The core idea of web 2.0 is social sharing. The new century is the information world. The numerous information make everyone lost! Even for best expert in web surfing can only exploit a small part of the big cake. How can you image you lost lots of interesting and important information. Maybe you will lose your business, your money, your success because of that. Web 2.0 is a evolution for that. Social applications, social network provide social concept to everyone. Share your information and knowledge, transact with others and get more useful information from others. With the help of web 2.0, everyone can stand on the shoulder of a giant which is the sociaty built by everyone including you. From What is Web 2.0 written by Tim O'Reilly, web 2.0 based application has the following characteristic:
Services, not packaged software, with cost-effective scalability
Control over unique, hard-to-recreate data sources that get richer as more people use them
Trusting users as co-developers
Harnessing collective intelligence
Leveraging the long tail through customer self-service
Software above the level of a single device
Lightweight user interfaces, development models, AND business models
Before the appearance of Web 2.0, I have heard that the service will be future of IT 2 or 3 years ago. And some pioneer like IBM has focused on provide service for business. However, only few service-based compnay achieved success like ebay, amazon etc. And for myself, I was not aware of how service can faciliate users like myself at that time. Why? recently, when I was really impressed by the power of social service, I get to know the answer. Service is created by social but not IT companies. Because of the variety of everyone, the services provided by the company always cannot satisfy large society of users. That's the reason why old services doesn't attract my attention (maybe the same to others). Web 2.0 proposes social service. It is fantastic and exciting because the service is not static anymore, every user would make the servie better, more users would make this service more powerful. That's the core of web 2.0. collective intelligence (social application, blogging) is utilized transparently to extend service & knowledge. The collected knowledge database is valueable. The following is just an example of myself to reveal the power of web 2.0 social service. Traditionally, I use the bookmark function of the web bowser (IE ago but now Firefox). I definitely use it but it doesnot mean it is very useful for me. Because the web is dynamic system (update every second), the site I collected become out-of-date very soon. And I am always not sure whether this site is best (provide most useful information for my topic) or not. Now I am using social bookmark (del.icio.us). When someone introduces it to me for the first time, I decide to use it and store my bookmark on the web thus can be used on each PC. But later, I found its true power: I can share the knowledge of others. I can find the most important site I want even I am not an expert of using google. I cannot find the most exact information from google (because my poor english, and who can say he can always find the best information ?). But I can find a common related site. And find the guys also having this site in social bookmark applications. And finally find the most useful information from this category (the site which is bookmarked by many people). This assumption is analog to the pagerank algorithm of google: More people (link) connected to this information, more interesting and related it is. And when I find new interesting site, I add it to the social bookmark application. I am not only helping myself, also extend the knowledge fundation of the system. Whatever the information I found is best, common or bad, it is helpful for others. Next time, when someone find the same site (means he is searching the same topic and accidently get the same site with me), he can through my connection to locate the most popular information of this topic. Very exciting web 2.0 social service. It is just the begin but not the end - For web 2.0 social service as well as my series blogging about it!!!!!!

Labels: